Barnhart-Reese provided Design-Build construction services for the renovation of Historic Building 158 and demolition of Building 58 at Naval Base Point Loma (NBPL). Building 158 has been formally determined as eligible for inclusion in the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Fort Rosecrans Historic District. Built in 1908 by the Army Quartermaster Corps, the structure is the only brick building example on NBPL. It was originally used as the Post Exchange and Gymnasium.
The $7.5 Million project includes renovating Building 158 into a two-story space with a basement suitable for administration services and training. It also includes demolition to cut openings for completion of a seismic retrofit, and installation of an elevator and ramp to bring the building into ADA compliance; constructing walls throughout all three floors to enclose offices, interview rooms, an evidence room, locker rooms, storage areas, and classrooms. The renovation includes installation of a new HVAC system, and repairs the existing pavement around the entire facility.
Also part of the contract is the demolition of Building 58 at the NBPL – Harbor Drive Annex. The existing 61,335 square foot structure was demolished and the site cleared in preparation for a future parking lot.